Who’s eligible to apply?
- Must be student or recent graduate of a university in the U.S. or Canada
- Ages: 18-30
- Not a prior participant
How many students will be chosen to go to the trip?
- In total, we’ll send about 200 students to Turkey this year.
What is the criteria for selection?
- Many factors play a role. Some are merit based and some reflect our desire to have a diverse group:
- School attended
- Volunteer work
- Strength of recommendations and the cover letter
What are the documents for application?
- Statement of Purpose to introduce yourself and make the case for your selection
- Up-to date resume
- Unofficial transcripts ( may require official transcript)
- Two letters of recommendation.It can be academic, professional, or personal (not preferred).
Can I request changes to the itinerary? For example, can I extend my flight return date?
- No changes to the itinerary possible.
Who pays for the trip?
- Turken assumes the responsibility for the following
- Flights from New York (JFK) to Istanbul (IST), flights within Turkey, and the return flight to JFK from IST
- Land transportation in Turkey
Can you pay for my plane ticket from my state to New York? Can you pay for my lodging if I come to New York a few days before the orientation?
- The program begins at Turken Offices with the orientation and ends at JFK Airport upon return from Turkey. Participant is responsible for any transportation and lodging that is before and after the program.
When will I know whether I won or not?
- Dates are as follows:
- April 19th: Application begins
- May 19th: Applications end. All material must be received by then.
- May 31st: Winners and waitlists (if any) announced
- June 8th : Group 1 winners’ deadline to submit required documents (e.g. Turkish visa, signed contract)
- June 25th Group 2 winners’ deadline to submit required documents
When are the trips?
- Group 1: June 14th– June 22nd
- Group 2: July 5th– July 13th
- Group 3: July 26th– August 3rd
Is orientation mandatory? Can I choose not to attend?
- Orientation at Turken offices on the day of the trip is mandatory; you must attend.
Can I use my phone in Turkey? Will we have Wi-Fi at lodging?
- Contact your carrier and make sure that you can use your mobile phone in Turkey. Most places will have free Wi-Fi .